Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Migrating a Site to Silverstripe /

What you need to know when migrating your existing site to SilverStripe.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Banners/Side Panels etc.

Go to End

3 Posts   2178 Views

JenG

Community Member, 2 Posts

3 June 2015 at 1:40am

Hi I'm completely new to Silverstripe as the website was set up by someone else. I want to change the banner and the overall look of the pages, but cannot find where to do this. When I go into the edit pages mode, I can see where I can edit text, but cannot gain access to anything else. I'm used to Dreamweaver and Wordpress where the various elements to the page are obvious. Any help/pointers please? Thanks

JonoM

Community Member, 130 Posts

3 June 2015 at 5:14am

Hi JenG,

A SilverStripe powered website is quite different to one created in Dreamweaver but probably isn't too different to WordPress.

On a SilverStripe website the data, logic and visual design are all separate. The front-end look and feel is controlled by templates and CSS files and usually worked on by a front-end designer. The data (e.g. text content) is managed in the CMS by content authors. The data, design and back-end logic are all tied together by a PHP developer.

So you may not be able to change much about the design of your website in the CMS.

If you want to get a great introduction in to SilverStripe and learn how to modify your site the best place to start is the lessons

JenG

Community Member, 2 Posts

3 June 2015 at 5:19am

Thanks JonoM. That explains a lot!