Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Releases and Announcements /

Latest news about the SilverStripe software.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, assertchris, Willr, Ingo, swaiba, Graves

Is there somewhere to post feature requests?

Go to End

3 Posts   2060 Views

HilaryB

Community Member, 11 Posts

10 March 2010 at 1:22am

Edited: 10/03/2010 1:22am

Is there somewhere we can post requests for future features in Silverstripe - I haven't found anywhere.

I would like to request a major overhaul of the site search, with searchable assets(file contents) and configurable pagetype tables/columns, as I think the current search feature really lets the product down and is important for enterprise level sites.

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

10 March 2010 at 5:19pm

Edited: 10/03/2010 5:20pm

For site search I recommend you trying out the sphinx search module. Sphinx is a much more robust searching tool and that does have support for file contents searching.

What do you mean about configurable pagetype tables? Could you clarify that.

As for general enhancements probably the best way to make requests is to open specific enhancement tickets on open.silverstripe.org. Note that vague requests will probably be marked as invalid and removed / ignored since that helps no one. If someone things that that request is stupid and/or would not be suitable for core inclusion it will probably be closed too (protip - check there isn't a ticket relating to this issue before making a new one)

If you want to talk about major changes / enhancements I guess the devs google group is another place to gather feedback.

HilaryB

Community Member, 11 Posts

10 March 2010 at 10:39pm

Thank you Willr for your helpful response - Sphinx does look very promising. I shall recommend we upgrade my current project to 2.4 when there is a stable version so that we can use it. However, as someone else has already commented in the forum, the documentation will need to be improved if it is to be understandable to any but advanced SilverStripe developers - dataObject decorators is fairly advanced stuff.

"What do you mean about configurable pagetype tables? Could you clarify that. "

What I meant is that we have a lot of pagetypes we have developed ourselves and significant site content goes in fields other than $Content, so it is stored in tables other than SiteTree. Currently these aren't included in the search, although there do seem to be some hooks in the code to allow future development to pass an array of searchable tables. Currently all you can do is remove SiteTree or Files. I would like to be able to define a list of tables(pagetypes) and preferably columns that are included in the search. Perhaps it could be set when the SiteSearchForm is instantiated in a redeveloped version of method classesToSearch.

I have also found that the documentation on the search isn't as comprehensive as it might be - there is no mention of it searching the Files table there or the public method SearchForm->classesToSearch. It would be helpful to all if it is revised.