Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Releases and Announcements /

Latest news about the SilverStripe software.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, assertchris, Willr, Ingo, swaiba, Graves

We're looking for forum moderators

Go to End

7 Posts   2964 Views

Ingo

Forum Moderator, 801 Posts

28 July 2011 at 8:46pm

Hello everybody!

In the light of a recent spike in spam signups and posts on this forum, we're looking to widen our circle of moderators to deal with the traffic. Its as simple as monitoring the RSS feed frequently, and clicking "mark as spam" on a post/thread.

It's also a great responsibility to keep with our open community spirit (<Yoda quote here>).
Lacking distinct community guidelines, I'd like to point you to a great online book resource for this:
The "Communication" chapter of "Producing Open Source Software" (http://producingoss.com/en/communications.html).
To be clear, we're trying to get rid of spam, not members you might not agree with (or that behave unprofessionally).

So: If you've been around here for a while (at least three months), have been an active community member (at least 150 posts), we'd really like your help in keeping this forum a high quality resource.

Please apply for moderation with me (ingo at silverstripe dot com), and briefly outline why you're a good fit for the job. Also let us know if you want to cover all forums, or just a specific subset. We're particularly keen on people outside of the NZ timezone, as we've got a reasonable moderator coverage with core members there.

Thanks for your help!
Ingo

MarijnKampf

Community Member, 176 Posts

29 July 2011 at 6:08pm

Would be happy to give it a go from the UK, but don't quite make the 150 posts mark yet.

moloko_man

Community Member, 72 Posts

30 July 2011 at 2:52am

I'd do it from the US, but even though I've been around for 3 years on here, I don't have nearly enough posts. I guess I could spam the forums to get my quota of 150 posts :)

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

31 July 2011 at 6:21pm

Edited: 31/07/2011 6:21pm

The 150 limit is simply to show us you have dedicated time previously to being involved with the forum and have plenty of experience! Quality over quantity is always important as well.

Howard

Community Member, 215 Posts

2 August 2011 at 2:08pm

More than happy to help out - I'll flick you an email Ingo. Also It would be helpful if each post had a "Mark as spam" link that logged in users could click which would send an email to the moderators for their consideration.

Just an idea...

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

3 August 2011 at 9:47pm

Also It would be helpful if each post had a "Mark as spam" link that logged in users could click which would send an email to the moderators for their consideration.

Moderators do get a mark as spam - but this also removes the user account completely. I see the point of having a mark this as spam, perhaps that itself could get spammed though? We would need to limit the use of the spam button as to not spam the moderators!

Ingo

Forum Moderator, 801 Posts

5 August 2011 at 6:37am

A "community-voted" spam marking would be awesome, but as Will said - prone to abuse. The forum codebase is open source - pull requests with well thought-out solutions welcome :)

We've had five members raising their hand and fulfilling the criteria, which is awesome! I think this should give us a good coverage for now, and we just see how we go. Depending how much of a burden the shared moderation is to individuals, we might ask for more volunteers :)