Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Releases and Announcements /

Latest news about the SilverStripe software.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, assertchris, Willr, Ingo, swaiba, Graves

Is there a deadline for 2.3 stable?

Go to End

10 Posts   5692 Views

SalvaStripe

Community Member, 89 Posts

20 January 2009 at 9:16pm

hey guys,
i testes the SS 2.3 rc2 when it was published and its awsome! and now i am waiting for the stable, i think many many users hope you will finish soon.

i watch up every day the roadmap (http://open.silverstripe.com/roadmap). can you tell me (us), how much time it will take nearly?
there are 2-3 projects, i will set up with 2.3 stable.. so i hope we haven't to more then a month !?! :D

SalvaStripe

OnebyOne

Community Member, 54 Posts

21 January 2009 at 12:54am

Edited: 21/01/2009 12:55am

Me too i'm waiting for the stable 2.3.0.

Hamish

Community Member, 712 Posts

21 January 2009 at 6:55am

Yeah, looking forward to this.

I've started using it for projects, just because the migration path from 2.2.3 to 2.3 is a bit of a pain and there are some great new features. I'm keeping them up to date on a daily basis though, so it is extra work, but will save me time in the long run.

mccarville

Community Member, 32 Posts

22 January 2009 at 1:27pm

I tried installing 2.3.0 from daily builds and the recommended downloads.

With both installations I had major issues with Tiny_MCE in the CMS... basically none of the icons appeared... any thoughts on resolving this? I experienced this issues with fresh install of 2.3.0 in the latest version of Firefox.

Also, random question.... I recently figured out (with a bunch of forum help!) how to allow user to customize the page theme from the CMS via a dropdown list. I'm new to SS (and PHP coding) and this was quite struggle for me... Is there currently a place where I could post this code so others can use it without the struggle?? I did post my final code in as my last post in the thread, but I wasn't sure if there was a place for "finished" code samples...

Carbon Crayon

Community Member, 598 Posts

23 January 2009 at 5:44am

Edited: 23/01/2009 5:46am

Hi Mcarville

I believe you can post a 'Recipe' in the wiki, you will need to sign up for a seperate login though. Would be great to see the final code as a mini tutorial

BuddhaSource

Community Member, 57 Posts

26 January 2009 at 5:51pm

Well we just started with SS 2 weeks ago and already love it. As of now we are developing theme and some scripts on 2.2.3 to meet our project requirement.

If the upgrading to 2.3 means rework and release is just month away then there is no point in doing on 2.2.3 .

Good to see on roadmap 2.3ver is 98% complete.

BTW can someone give me an estimate of extend of rework to migrate from 2.2.3 to 2.3 ?

Regards,
Sid

Fuzz10

Community Member, 791 Posts

26 January 2009 at 9:54pm

Although it isn't "the proper way" .. My advice would be to develop your stuff on 2.3RC. I can't say anything about the "final" version , but I encountered some weird problems when upgrading a couple of sites to 2.3RC (just to test) .....

mccarville

Community Member, 32 Posts

27 January 2009 at 12:22pm

Edited: 03/02/2009 1:44pm

I created an account on the recipes page but it seemd like I could only edit content but not create a new article. I amy be missing something... I wrote the how-to...
-------------------------

The goal of this How-To is to show you how to create a drop down list in the CMS that allows the user to select a specific theme for the page. This tutorial assumes that you have a working knowledge of tutorials 1 and 2.

This is the final code:

<?php

class Page extends SiteTree {
	static $db = array(
	'ThemeX' => "Enum('District,AHS,MAS,HAS','District')"
	);

static $has_one = array(
 );

function getCMSFields() {
		$fields = parent::getCMSFields();
		$fields->addFieldToTab('Root.Content.Main', new DropdownField(
			'ThemeX',
			'Select A Theme:',
			singleton('Page')->dbObject('ThemeX')->enumValues()
		),'Content');
		return $fields;
	}
}

class Page_Controller extends ContentController {
	function init() {

if($this->ThemeX){
			SSViewer::set_theme($this->ThemeX);
		}

parent::init();

Requirements::themedCSS("layout");
		Requirements::themedCSS("typography");
		Requirements::themedCSS("form");
	}
}

?>

Hopefully most of this looks standard to you, so I will just point out the modifications we made.

MOD 1

static $db = array(
	'ThemeX' => "Enum('District,AHS,MAS,HAS','District')"
	);

We create a variable called ThemeX. The variable is of type Enum(?) which ends up populating the values for the drop down list. The first set of quotes inside the parentheses contains the values for the drop down list; each value should be separated by a comma. The second set of parentheses contains the default selected value.

MOD 2

$fields->addFieldToTab('Root.Content.Main', new DropdownField(
			'ThemeX',
			'Select A Theme:',
			singleton('Page')->dbObject('ThemeX')->enumValues()
		),'Content');

Now we need to add the dropdown list into the CMS. The set of quotes for DropdownField calls the variable we created in MOD 1. The next set of quotes is the text that will appear above the dropdown field in the CMS. In singleton(‘Page’) Page refers to the name of the class [as in class Page extends SiteTree]. In dbObject(‘ThemeX’) the ThemeX is again referring to the variable we declared in MOD 1. We include a ‘Content’ at the end to tell SS to place the drop down list above the Content field in the CMS.

MOD 3

if($this->ThemeX){
			SSViewer::set_theme($this->ThemeX);
		}

IMPORTANT!! Without the if statement, if you have any pages in your web site that do not already have ThemeX declared, your CMS will crash. Since we have an if statement the page will look in –config.php for a default theme if no variable is declared.

Looking at the code, we call $this->ThemeX which means ThemeX from this page. Are if statements tells the system not to process the theme swap if ThemeX has not been declared. Finally our SSViewer::set_theme call, sets the theme to the users selection.

At this point you are able to log in to the CMS and set the theme of a page by selecting the theme from a drop down list and clicking save and publish.

Hope this helps!! SilverStripe is the best, keep up the good work!!

Go to Top