Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Releases and Announcements /

Latest news about the SilverStripe software.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, assertchris, Willr, Ingo, swaiba, Graves

2.3 - Default Language Bug ?

Go to End

38 Posts   12271 Views

Fuzz10

Community Member, 791 Posts

8 May 2009 at 11:29pm

I'm bumping into odd behaviour as well..

first, If I translate a child-page , it creates a translation for both the child and it's parent page (this seems logical). If I then go back to translate a sibling (so a child of the same parent page which was just translated) , it creates a translated version for the page , but I cannot see it in the translated site-tree.

Another bug pops up when you click "show deleted pages" in a translated site-tree. It now shows the sitetree of another language.

ps(Is this the right thread to talk about the new Translatable features?) ....

martimiz

Forum Moderator, 1391 Posts

8 May 2009 at 11:41pm

Edited: 08/05/2009 11:48pm

@Fuzz10
Do you mean when translating sibblings you don't end up with a new tree every time? You just keep one tree but lose the earlier sibblings? Did you change the default language as I did?

[EDIT]
Because in the ticket I saw mentioned what you describe: the loosing/exchanging of siblings in the translated tree, whereas I get all these extra trees - it could be two different bugs. Do you get any Existing translations mentioned in you default language?

Fuzz10

Community Member, 791 Posts

8 May 2009 at 11:44pm

@martimiz
Indeed, default language is dutch.

I don't end up with a new tree ever time. It just refuses to add new translated children to the already translated parent... So it is basically the opposite of what happens on your installation..... ;)

martimiz

8 May 2009 at 11:52pm

Edited: 09/05/2009 4:36am

Have another one: if I try and translate from a secundary language to any other language I get a 'Javascript Error' on the bottom right.

@Fuzz10
This is weird - we should have the same results then. I'll try a new installation later on. Using FF 3.0.10 for that matter...

[EDIT]
BTW - is there an svn for this version? I'm using the original download from the blog...

[EDIT 2]
Downloaded 2.3.2beta1 again from the blog. Did a fresh install (Debian Etch, Apache2, MySQL5), tested in FF3.0.1 (XP), IE6 (XP) IE7 (Vista). Same thing: translating a sibbling results in creating a second tree. In both IE, translating a sibbling resulted in an error message 'I can't handle sub-URLs of a CMSMain object'. I then have to reload to see that the second tree was still created.

Ingo

Forum Moderator, 801 Posts

9 May 2009 at 2:11pm

OK, looks like we have some work to do - thanks for testing! Having a default language other than "en_US" definetly complicates things - I've tested this of course, but there can be more side effects and wrong assumptions.

I've created a ticket for the missing parent relation on translated children:
http://open.silverstripe.com/ticket/4032#comment:1

And another ticket for optionally translating a subtree or the whole page tree:
http://open.silverstripe.com/ticket/4033
This won't make it into 2.3.2 - patches are welcome of course, don't think translating a subtree will be too hard to set up.

martimiz

10 May 2009 at 1:00am

Edited: 11/05/2009 7:39pm

While waiting for stable - is there maybe a tiny little patch to make the frontend at least acknowledge a different locale in 2.3.1? I'm only working on Dutch sites now, I wouldn't mind using some hardcoding for the time being just to change the default. I could plow through the code of course - but if anybody has already done this? Please?

[EDIT]
simplest solution: for the time being I hardcoded Content-Language in SiteTree.php: $tags .= "<meta http-equiv=\"Content-Language\" content=\""...

Juanitou

Community Member, 323 Posts

10 May 2009 at 2:57am

Edited: 10/05/2009 3:15am

Hi!

I don't know how do you managed to actually create some translations! Here, on a fresh install of 2.3.2beta1, I can go as far as building the database with the Locale field correctly set to 'en_GB' (not default locale), I checked the database. Then, when I try to enter the CMS, I get:

[Notice] Undefined index: en_GB
GET /ss-232b1/admin/
Line 1350 in C:\Users\Juan\Documents\Travail en cours\Web\silverstripe-v2.3.2-beta1\cms\code\CMSMain.php

That's the LangSelector function.

Any ideas? (as I continue debugging)

Best regards,
Juan

*EDIT*
I understand now: the problem is that CMSMain looks for the default locale (set here to en_GB) in the common_locales array, where en_GB is not defined, as soon as I change this list or the function get_common_locales to get_locale_list in LangSelector, I can access the CMS.

So: when starting a new site, verify that your locale is in the list of common_locales or include it!

Should I consider that a bug or a feature? ;)

Juanitou

Community Member, 323 Posts

10 May 2009 at 3:36am

Development.

Ingo, please, would you consider adding this to _config.php as good SilverStripe practice? I'm not good at php… :(

/* Multilingual content */
/********************/
// Enable Translatable
Object::add_extension('SiteTree', 'Translatable');
Translatable::set_default_locale('en_GB');
//Define allowed locales overriding those present in i18n::$common_locales
$allowed_locales = array(
		'en_GB' => array('English', 'English'),
		'es_ES' => array('Spanish', 'espa&ntilde;ol')
	);
i18n::$common_locales = $allowed_locales;

Thanks in advance,
Juan