Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Showcase Questions /

Feedback and questions about sites in the Community Showcase.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Anyone know how to read .ss files

Go to End

5 Posts   5802 Views

turnkey

Community Member, 1 Post

18 February 2010 at 8:11am

My dad died and he has some information on 3.5" floppy discs that are .ss files. These were created on a Sharp Font Writer - Personal Word Processor.
On my PC I have tried everything but cannot get them to open in an intelligible format, nothing works, not excel, not notepad or word etc.
Anyone got any ideas how I can open these files legibly to save them onto my PC?

PurpleUnicycle

Community Member, 2 Posts

19 March 2015 at 11:32pm

I know this is a old thread - but I was wondering if anyone came up with an answer to this? I too have found some old disks from a Sharp Fontwriter 7, and I'd like to be able to convert these .ss files and read them. They don't open in Excel or Notepad (just display gibberish). Anyone got any ideas?

Pyromanik

Community Member, 419 Posts

20 March 2015 at 12:11am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wx4-wMBmfls

Did you try google?
Because fontwriter files are apparently .fw from what I saw.

http://semiprime.com/fontwriter/ might have what you want - but you might have to use the wayback machine as it just times out for me.

.ss could be many things:

1. SilverStripe template file (plain text)
  2. Scheme programming language source file (plain text)
  3. dnaLIMS fragment analysis in Bioinformatic Tools for DNA Research
  4. Bitmap graphics (Splash)
  5. Windows 95 screensaver
  6. A Sam Spade script, a free integrated network query tool for Windows 95, 98, NT and Windows 2000 used to track down spam
  7. XShipWars sound scheme file
  8. Protein data used by program called Ribbons (and other biochemistry applications)
  9. Snappy Configuration File
  10. Oberlin DRAGN Graph Algorithm
  11. FileViewPro

I suggest opening with some kind of inspector to see if you can decipher the header to get more info. Some kind of hex editor should allow this.
You'll need to know what you're doing though.

PurpleUnicycle

Community Member, 2 Posts

20 March 2015 at 12:44am

Yes I've done a long Google search on the topic. This device - Sharp Fontwriter 750 - allowed you to create word processing files (.wp) and spread sheet files (.ss). There is a conversion utility out there for converting the .wp files - but nothing for the .ss files. I've come to a blank on that one.

Pyromanik

Community Member, 419 Posts

20 March 2015 at 12:52am

Interesting indeed. Sorry we can't help you! This forum is for help with web development software.