Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Template Questions /

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Problem with Flash header

Go to End

2 Posts   2294 Views

Jaap

Community Member, 2 Posts

23 January 2010 at 7:01am

Hi guys,

First of all, I'm a complete SilverStripe noob but I managed to get my first site running with this great CMS.
I've got a small problem with my Flash header, everytime I go to a different page the movie starts playing from the start.
Is there a way to keep it looping when browsing the site?

Regards,

Jaap

bummzack

Community Member, 904 Posts

23 January 2010 at 9:27am

Edited: 23/01/2010 9:27am

Hi and welcome to SilverStripe.
Embedded content like SWFs (Flash) or Movies always start anew with every page-refresh.
There are several workarounds for this, but they are either complicated or a SEO nightmare.

Here the possibilities I can think of:
1) Create a frameset. Run the flash header in the top frame and the rest of your site in the frame below.
Pros: Easy to do
Cons: Really bad in terms of search engine friendliness, bookmarking etc.

2) Load your site-contents via AJAX instead of reloading the whole site
Pros: No frameset, other elements (like the navigation) could stay "static" as well
Cons: Almost the same problems as with frames. Problem can be solved by using a deep-linking script like SWFAddress

3) Keep track of the flash-position inside flash (by storing the "playhead-position" in a shared object or similar and restart the movie from there at every page-refresh)
Pros: Website can be built as usual
Cons: Requires some advanced flash skills and most importantly: Access to the flash source.