Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

Template Questions /

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Issues when trying iterate over a DataList in a template

Go to End

7 Posts   186 Views

mjvezzani

Community Member, 5 Posts

23 May 2017 at 8:34am

Hi,

I'm currently experiencing issues trying to iterate and display content from a DataList in a template. I've managed to find a way to get it to work, but it doesn't feel like the right way to do it. Here is what I've got:

Feature.php
public static function GetNumFeaturesBySection($arguments, $content = null, $parser = null, $tagName) {
    $numberOfFeatures = (int)$arguments['num'];
    $section = $arguments['section'];

$listOfFeatures = Feature::get()->filter(array('Section.Title' => $section))->limit(4);

return $listOfFeatures->renderWith('MultipleFeatureTemplate');
  }

-------

MultipleFeatureTemplate.ss

<div class='row'>
  <% loop $Me %>
  <div class="col-md-4">
    <h3>$Title</h3>
    <p>$Description</h3>
  <% end_loop %>
</div>

This code results in each Feature items getting rendered to the webpage on load, but I really don't like that

<% loop $Me %>
bit at all. I can't find any documentation on it and I only randomly stumbled upon it in this silverstripe forum question. I tried the other suggestion from the answerer in that post, but it doesn't work. Anyone out there have a better understanding on the proper way to iterate over $listOfFeatures in my template? Thanks!

martimiz

Forum Moderator, 1391 Posts

24 May 2017 at 4:46am

Edited: 24/05/2017 4:48am

I would do something like this:

$this->customise(array('ListOfFeatures' => $listOfFeatures))->renderWith('MultipleFeatureTemplate');

That will provide your DataList with a name that you can then iterate:

<% loop $ListOfFeatures %>

mjvezzani

24 May 2017 at 6:02am

Edited: 24/05/2017 6:03am

Thanks for the response.

As mentioned in my previous post, the link that I referenced also suggested doing that. I attempted to implement by changing my code as follows:

public static function GetFeatures($arguments, $content = null, $parser = null, $tagName) {
    $limit = isset($arguments['limit']) ? (int)$arguments['limit'] : '';
    $filter = isset($arguments['section']) ? $arguments['section'] : '';
    $sort = isset($arguments['sort']) ? $arguments['sort'] : '';

if ($filter == '') {
      $listOfFeatures = Feature::get()->sort($sort)->limit($limit);
    } else {
      $listOfFeatures = Feature::get()->filter(array('Section.Title' => $filter))->sort($sort)->limit($limit);
    }
    // original code
    // return $listOfFeatures->renderWith('MultipleFeatureTemplate');
    // suggested changes
    $this->customize(array('ListOfFeatures' => $listOfFeatures))->renderWith('MultipleFeatureTemplate');
  }

Trying what I have above results in a 500 server error. Am I missing something? I also tried:

return $this->customize(array('ListOfFeatures' => $listOfFeatures))->renderWith('MultipleFeatureTemplate');

and ended up with the save server error.

martimiz

24 May 2017 at 6:11am

Edited: 24/05/2017 6:14am

I think tat should be customise, not customize. The z was replaced at some point...

And sure, should add 'return' :)

[edit] https://docs.silverstripe.org/en/3/developer_guides/templates/rendering_templates/

mjvezzani

25 May 2017 at 12:52am

Thanks again for the response.

Alright, so I changed the 'z' to an 's' and added the return statement. The result was:

Fatal error: Using $this when not in object context in /Applications/MAMP/cms/www/mysite/code/program/Feature.php

I read the documentation that you referenced. Is using the `$this->customise` syntax something that is limited to controllers only? What I'm trying to do is create a short code called GetFeatures that retrieves multiple features and then renders the collection of features into my `MultipleFeaturesTemplate.ss` file. I've followed the documentation here to create the GetFeatures shortcode. However the documentation doesn't at all address how to define a short code that is responsible for rendering collections of data. Based on the error I'm getting, it would seem that using the `$this->customise` syntax does not work within a short code. What syntax would be appropriate within my Feature class in the short code definition?

martimiz

25 May 2017 at 4:22am

Sorry, should obviously have noticed the static context :(

singleton('Controller')->customise(array('ListOfFeatures' => $listOfFeatures))->renderWith('MultipleFeatureTemplate');

Or Controller::curr()->customise... (not 100% sure)

mjvezzani

25 May 2017 at 4:30am

That is fantastic! Works like a charm.

Thank you so much for working with me through that. Much appreciated!