Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Template Questions /

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Adding content to left or right of the page layout

Go to End

2 Posts   1532 Views

Larry7

Community Member, 21 Posts

21 June 2010 at 10:45am

I am doing a very simple web site for a short term project so I had hoped not to have to learn too much about the inners of SS but just use the CMS.

Using any of the supplied themes, it seems content is centred on the screen with a fair bit of real estate on the left and right hand side of the screen. I have managed to create a new homepage template and added it to the database. When I edit that template to add (in this instance a Twitter script so that ongoing Twitter updates are refreshed on the page), while the script works, the widget just takes up space in the middle section of the page. I can't get it to be placed far at the left or at the right.

I suspect there is a template or style sheet somewhere but for the life of me I can't find. Which css file usually contains the definition of how wide the screen is. For example on this forum, there appears to be real estate to the left and right of the content (defined by the header) which shows the issue I am trying to overcome - how to place content left or right of the wide of the header.

Thanks

Larry

pinkp

Community Member, 182 Posts

21 June 2010 at 11:49am

"I suspect there is a template or style sheet somewhere but for the life of me I can't find. Which css file usually contains the definition of how wide the screen is"

Everything you need for the layout is in 'themes' > 'mytheme'

Then 'templates' or the 'css' folder the width of the site is in the layout.css

hope that helps