Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We're retiring the forums!

The SilverStripe forums have passed their heyday. They'll stick around, but will be read only. We'd encourage you to get involved in the community via the following channels instead:

Template Questions /

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Yet another nested controls problem


Go to End


7 Posts   4006 Views

Avatar
Bezzen

Community Member, 6 Posts

17 August 2010 at 2:28am

I'm trying to build a site in Silverstripe and so far it has proven to be quite frustrating. Let's just say that if I wrote it from the ground up in plain PHP it would be live now. ;)

I'm having some nested controls that I've sort of got working after lots of headaches but I just can't close the bag on this one. It's probably dead simple, but I haven't managed to find anythjing that can help me. Google certainly isn't my friend in this case.

I have to separate MySQL queries. The first one shows a list of companies and the second one counts the number of products by that company. This is supposed to be output like this:

Company 1 - (2 products)
Company 2 - (2 product)
etc.

The following dummy I set up works like I want it to:

<% control TheCompanies %>
<a href="/companies/$ID/">$CompanyName</a> -

<% control Top.TheCompany(10) %>
($TheNumber products)<br />
<% end_control %>
<% end_control %>

This dummy now shows the name for company and then shows the number of products for company with ID number 10.

Now I of course want the ID number to be relative to the right company ID (not just number 10). So I've tried the following:

<% control Top.TheCompany($ID) %>

and

<% control Top.TheCompany($TheCompanies.ID) %>

But that doesn't work at all. How do I get the $ID from TheCompanies control block into the TheCompany control block?

Avatar
swaiba

Forum Moderator, 1899 Posts

17 August 2010 at 6:38am

Hi,

You might have got it live by now... but you wouldn't have got all the stuff ss has in it if you worte it yourself ;-)

Anyway...

there is only one pass made of the template so it cannot be passed the $ID into a function and you'll instead have to preload all the data into the TheCompanies, I'd do the following...

function TheCompanies ()
{
	$dosCompanies = DataObject::get('Company');//or however you do that...
	if ($dosCompanies)
	{
		foreach ($dosCompanies as $doCompany)
		{
			$dosSubSet = DataObject::get('CompanyData','ID = '.$doCompany->ID);
			$doCompany->TheCompanySubDataObject = $dosSubSet;
			$doCompany->TheCount = $dosSubSet->TotalItems();
		}
	}
	return $dosCompanies;
}

<% control TheCompanies %>
	$CompanyName
	$TheCount
	<% control TheCompanySubDataObject %>
		$CompanySubDataField
	<% end_control %>
<% end_control %>

Untested but it is in the right direction...

Barry

Avatar
Bezzen

Community Member, 6 Posts

17 August 2010 at 8:23am

Edited: 17/08/2010 8:25am

Thanks for the reply, swaiba. I'll try and see if I can get your method working tonight.

Silverstripe's way of doing things is all Greek to me now, but I'm sure the penny will drop soon. :D

Avatar
Bezzen

Community Member, 6 Posts

17 August 2010 at 9:17am

Worked like a charm straight out of the box!

Thanks a lot Barry! :)

Avatar
sashion

Community Member, 25 Posts

2 June 2011 at 6:52pm

That was EXACTLY what I needed! Thanx for both - the already asked question and the answer ;)

cheers

Avatar
swaiba

Forum Moderator, 1899 Posts

2 June 2011 at 9:02pm

You are both very welcome :)

Avatar
ajshort

Community Member, 244 Posts

2 June 2011 at 9:45pm

Edited: 02/06/2011 9:48pm

This is a bad way to do this - it generates a huge amount of DB queries. You'd probably want to query the database in one hit for company name and the count of matching companydata objects, then push this into a DataObjectSet and render it.