Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Template Questions /

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Background not rendering right in IE

Go to End

9 Posts   5013 Views

jfusco

Community Member, 53 Posts

3 February 2009 at 11:55am

The background of the content section isn't rendering properly in Internet Explorer. It comes down part way, then stops. It looks fine in FireFox and Opera. Any ideas? Any ideas where I should look?

http://www.unclebubby.com/wavs2/

Thanks,
Joe

Hamish

Community Member, 712 Posts

3 February 2009 at 1:46pm

This is a question about CSS styling, so not really relevant to this forum, however I think it is because you have 'height: 100%' in your layout stylesheet. You shouldn't need that there, and it might be causing it to only repeat for the viewport, rather than the whole page.

By the way, are you aware that each of your stylesheets are included twice in the head? You don't need to add them to Page.SS if you already have a Requirements::CSS for that stylesheet.

jfusco

3 February 2009 at 4:34pm

Thank you for your response and the tip on the duplicate CSS. I never would have caught that.

The only parts of my layout.css that have height: 100% are

/* Global Resetting */
html{	
	width: 100%;
	height: 100%;
	background:url(../images/body_bg.gif) repeat;
}
body {
	width: 100%;
	height: 100%;
	font-size: 62.5%;

I took the file directly from the tutorial. It -was- working but it broke at some point. I only made a couple of changes, including changing the background pic, but I'm not sure when it broke because I wasn't using IE to peview.

In which forum would this be appropriate? Isn't CSS part of the template?

Thanks again,
Joe

jfusco

7 February 2009 at 5:10am

It appears that it is NOT a problem with Layout.css. For testing purposes, I switched back to the original file and it did the same thing. And there's a new development - the admin login screen isn't showing the labels for the input fields.

Oh, and while the original link will get you there via a redirect, the URL is http://wavs.unclebubby.com

Anyone... anyone...

Thanks,
Joe

jfusco

16 February 2009 at 6:05am

(bump)

jfusco

27 February 2009 at 11:27am

I don't know where this went wrong since I was working exclusively in FireFox when I set it up. That is making the process more difficult. Today, I did some experimentation and here's what I've come up with (it's still not resolved).

First, I performed a second installation of SS in another directory. That installation (http://www.unclebubby.com/sstest) looks okay, although it's the barebones tutorial install and I haven't added anything to it. That tells me it's probably not something with the server (although it could be an issue with the installation, I suppose).

Next, I removed all of my includes one-by-one. No change.

I know it's something global because it doesn't matter which page type I'm looking at. With that in mind, I copied the freshly installed page.php file. No change. I copied the freshly installed layout.css then typography.css. No change. I may repeat this experiment and rebuild the database in between steps just to be sure.

The problem install is at http://wavs.unclebubby.com. Does anybody have ANY clues or other troubleshooting suggestions?

Sam

Administrator, 690 Posts

27 February 2009 at 11:31am

Have you tried posting your questions on a CSS forum? It sounds like your problems are related to CSS and aren't really tied to any SilverStripe-specific issues, so you could probably get access to a higher concentration of CSS-gurus that way.

jfusco

2 March 2009 at 8:44am

I was doing some testing and going through the tutorials again. I noticed that one of the page.ss file examples didn't show the line:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
at the top of the file... so I deleted it on my production site. When I checked it in IE... it looked fine. Odd thing is, I put the line back in, flushed the cache... and it still looked fine. It broke some other things so I left it out in the end.

I don't know what fixed it but I'm just going to go with it. Thanks for the help.

Go to Top