Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Template Questions /

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

custom controller doesn't work, why?

Go to End

3 Posts   1745 Views

theAlien

Community Member, 131 Posts

24 March 2009 at 6:14am

Edited: 24/03/2009 6:15am

Hi,

I have a PersonsHolder with several PersonsPage-children. With a dropdown ('Show' => "Enum('Featured,Standard,Do not show','Standard')") in PersonsPage it is decided how the childpage is shown in the PersonsHolder.

To accomplish this, I would like to create a custom controller. Based on the second tutorial and this post I wrote:

class PersonsHolder_Controller extends Page_Controller{
	function Accent() {
	return DataObject::get("PersonsPage","Show = Standard");
	}
}

In PersonsHolder.ss I call this control like this:
<% control Accent %>
<a href="$URLSegment">$Title</a>
<% end_control %>

However... I get the following error:

[User Error] Couldn't run query: SELECT `SiteTree_Live`.*, `Page_Live`.*, `PersonsPage_Live`.*, `SiteTree_Live`.ID, if(`SiteTree_Live`.ClassName,`SiteTree_Live`.ClassName,'SiteTree') AS RecordClassName FROM `SiteTree_Live` LEFT JOIN `Page_Live` ON `Page_Live`.ID = `SiteTree_Live`.ID LEFT JOIN `PersonsPage_Live` ON `PersonsPage_Live`.ID = `SiteTree_Live`.ID WHERE (Show = Standard) AND (`SiteTree_Live`.ClassName IN ('PersonsPage')) AND (`SiteTree_Live`.SubsiteID IN (0)) AND (`SiteTree_Live`.SubsiteID IN (0)) ORDER BY Sort You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'Show = Standard) AND (`SiteTree_Live`.ClassName IN ('PersonsPage')) AND (`SiteT' at line 1
GET /ss/new-personsholder/

Line 394 in C:\wamp\www\ss\sapphire\core\model\MySQLDatabase.php

What am I doing wrong? (I did run db/build several times)

david_nash

Community Member, 55 Posts

6 April 2009 at 8:36pm

I don't fully understand what you're trying to do, but your problem is with the "Show = Standard" in the controller.

Can you post your PersonPage class code? Just the bit where you do the enum.

Hamish

Community Member, 712 Posts

7 April 2009 at 9:17pm

Edited: 07/04/2009 9:17pm

The filter clause in DataObject::get is raw SQL, so you should replace that call with:

return DataObject::get("PersonsPage","`Show` = 'Standard'");

Note however that this will return every object (in the form of a DataObjectSet) of type 'PersonsPage' where the column 'Show' equals 'Standard'.. which might not be your intention.