Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Template Questions /

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Music and iframes in template

Go to End

3 Posts   2074 Views

Sophie

Community Member, 33 Posts

24 October 2009 at 3:37am

It might be easier to just shoot me now. My latest client is a photographer and wants music on her site. We agreed on music on JUST the home page to go along with a flash presentation. The music uses a tiny flash jukebox.

I'm using the image gallery for her portfolio. She just loves the music so much that she wants it to run on her portfolio pages in the image gallery. After much discussion she's got music there. Now she wants the music seamless from album to album within the gallery. Somehow I just knew we would end up here.

I've never used an iframe as part of a template. Will using an iframe let me run the music seamlessly? Or will the iframe reload when each page loads, the music starting over? If that's the case, if folks turn the music off it'll restart every time. Not a good option.

If this is an option, do I include the iframe in the page.ss? If so, do I drop it in above the header? I'm entering uncharted territory and thought I'd ask a few questions before I start experimenting. Any assistance on the iframes would be appreciated.

I have explored an Enhanced XSPF player mentioned elsewhere in the forums that would auto-resume the music, but my client feels that the controls and too intrusive.

Many thanks!
Sophie

bummzack

Community Member, 904 Posts

24 October 2009 at 4:41am

No, the iframe thing won't work. The contents of the iframe will also be refreshed if the surrounding page is being refreshed.
It would work if you had the media-player in the main-window and the whole site-content in an iframe.. but that would break a lot of other stuff and is a really nasty solution.
Music that just starts on it's own is a no go in my opinion. You should leave the choice up to the user if he wants to hear music while browsing the web. That being said, it might be a solution to open the music-player in a popup-window when the user clicks the play button. That way the music will stay even if the user changes page-sections...

Sophie

Community Member, 33 Posts

24 October 2009 at 6:44am

I TOTALLY agree with you on the music. Of course you're correct on the iframe business. I simply hadn't thought it through. Thank you for taking the time to reply.