Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Themes /

Discuss SilverStripe Themes.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

"SilverStripe Framework requires a $databaseConfig defined." after trying to switch to a new theme.

Go to End

MFeaux

Community Member, 1 Post

20 September 2017 at 7:26pm

Hi, I am a relative newbie to web programming and have only been working with Silverstripe for the last week.

Having followed the online tutorials and installed SS onto my server, I started working on creating a new theme. I copied over the Simple theme files to a new folder under Themes (without altering the CSS), changed config.yml and added new text to page.ss in the templates folder, uploading these files via Filezilla. Switching themes in the online CMS caused the website to switch to a minimal display with a blue header banner and no navigation bar. The text I'd added to page.ss didn't appear.

So far perhaps you're thinking that I've confused issues by editing via the online back end and also via the server. I dunno.

I went back and forth seeing if I could change anything, but to no avail. Then I read something on a forum about changing config.php within mysite here- https://www.silverstripe.org/community/forums/themes-2/show/111758. So I did that and ?flush=all. SInce then all that I get when I try to view the site is the message "SilverStripe Framework requires a $databaseConfig defined".

I have tried re-uploading the installation folder anew, but I am still getting the same message. I can appreciate that this problem could lie in any one of a number of things I've done, but I haven't a clue and it's extremely annoying, especially after following all of the rules of setting up a new theme.