Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Themes /

Discuss SilverStripe Themes.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Layout not being called for Subtemplates

Go to End

3 Posts   2839 Views

thenergle

Community Member, 5 Posts

16 March 2011 at 5:19am

I am working on a test theme for a client. He would like to migrate a large number of web sites but isn't sure that SilverStripe is the way to go. This is the first time I have used SilverStripe. Anyway, I've been following along in the Building a Basic Site tutorial on creating the layouts.

I created my own template by copying the tutorial folder over and for the most part that seemed to work fine. In fact Page.ss works like a charm. But I have pretty much run into a brick wall on the HomePage page-type and layout. I created my HomePage.ss file in templates and it seemed to work alright after awhile. However, I created my layout file and removed the HomePage.ss file and added $Layout to the Page.ss and the only page I can get to work is the Page.ss.

I created two page types to test the first one is the HomePage:

Here is the code I have for that:

<?php
class HomePage extends Page {

static $db = array(
);

static $has_one = array(
);

}
class HomePage_Controller extends Page_Controller {

}

My Page.ss file:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/DTD/xhtml11.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en" >
<head>
<% base_tag %>
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="tutorial/css/layout.css" />
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="tutorial/css/typography.css" />
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="tutorial/css/form.css" />
</head>
<body>
<div id="Main">
<% include Header %>
<div id="ContentContainer">
$Layout
</div>
<% include Footer %>
</div>
$SilverStripeNavigator
</body>
</html>

My HomePage.ss file:

<div id="Content" class="typography">
$Content
</div>

Really basic.

Anyway, I have done the dev/build?flush=all repeatedly and it is not improving the response. If I have the Page type set as Home Page I receive a completely empty page. No style information in the head and no content or body information.

I have a MenuPage type which is virtually identical to the HomePage. When I have the Page Type set to Menu Page I actually get content but all the style information is gone and I receive this message: Generated with the default ContentController.ss template.

Any thoughts as to why the Layout does not appear to be working?

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

16 March 2011 at 5:52pm

If you get a blank page for the HomePage it could be a PHP error. Check your PHP / apache error log for more information.

I have a MenuPage type which is virtually identical to the HomePage. When I have the Page Type set to Menu Page I actually get content but all the style information is gone and I receive this message: Generated with the default ContentController.ss template.

Does MenuPage extend Page and MenuPage_Controller extend Page_Controller? If it mentions ContentController that would indicate it isn't picking up your Page.ss template.

thenergle

Community Member, 5 Posts

17 March 2011 at 2:17am

I checked the Error log and there wasn't anything in there. I did look through some of the other forums and found that I did not have a silverstripe-cache folder that was writable. I changed that and it appeared to fix both the blank page and the MenuPage generation message.

I did have the pages extending Page_Controller. So it seems to be working now.