Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Themes /

Discuss SilverStripe Themes.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

ddsmoothmenu Dropdown Menus

Go to End

4 Posts   5034 Views

mhdesign

Community Member, 216 Posts

10 June 2013 at 2:45pm

Edited: 10/06/2013 2:59pm

I think I'm missing something very simple here...

I used the ddsmoothmenu format on a static site I built some years ago. Now I'm revisiting and updating the site using the Silverstripe CMS. Everything's gone well apart from the two level dropdown navigation menus. While my styles have some through untouched the second level has disappeared.

I'm not totally surprised here, as I thought this would be a sticky area. I was, however, delighted to find that a contributor named 'Antione' had thoughtfully packaged up all the required code as Silverstripe module, complete with some (very basic) instructions.

I understand that the package is to be installed at root directory but am unsure where $Smoothmenu goes? I've tried placing it in the Navigation.ss include file, replacing $Link but when I do the menu has no links on it. As it stands I'm getting no submenus, using the same stylesheets that work fine on the current static HTML site.

The supplied instructions:

Installation
-----------------------------------------------
Download and install the project to the root directory of your silverstripe project : myproject/ssdropdownmenu

Or (advanced users) create a svn:externals rule on the root directory of your project svn propset svn:externals http://ssdropdownmenu.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/ ssdropdownmenu
Documentation

To use the menu in a template (most of the time Page.ss), use simply :

* $SmoothMenu
    * or $CssMenu
    * call with an argument (1) to add the admin menu links for login and access to the CMS at the end of your menu : $SmoothMenu(1) or $CssMenu(1) 

Not too clear on where the $SmoothMenu should go? Presumably in Navigation.ss in place of $Link? Only then all links in the served page are empty!

Can anybody point out the fundamental mistake that I am making? Thanks!

mhdesign

13 June 2013 at 7:47pm

Still beating my head on the proverbial brick wall here. I've managed to put a comment on Antoine's blog -- hope he comes back to me. Then again his original post dated from 2009 and blog hasn't been updated since 2011 so I'm not holding out for this...

Still the same old problem; put $SmoothMenu tag in Navigation.ss and I get navigation with empty links. Put $SmoothMenu direct on Page.ss (as directed in the instructions) and I get nothing at all.

Have done /dev/build/ and ?flush=1 more times that I care to remember!

MIght have to call Silverstripe direct and see if I can talk to a friendly developer?

Webdoc

Community Member, 349 Posts

13 June 2013 at 9:14pm

Edited: 13/06/2013 9:15pm

i think its easier to make dropdown yourself.

you can find my blog post how to do it - here

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Arvixe Web Hosting / SilverStripe Community Liaison | Looking for quality SilverStripe Web Hosting? Look no further than Arvixe Web Hosting!

mhdesign

15 June 2013 at 12:08pm

Much, much easier Webdoc!! Completely solved my problem -- Thanks for your help -- up and running now!