Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Themes /

Discuss SilverStripe Themes.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Balance theme - how do I design the index page?

Go to End

6 Posts   3397 Views

StillLearning

Community Member, 12 Posts

18 July 2009 at 10:08pm

I have installed the balance theme without any problems becuase I liked the layout of the front page show in the demo. However, once installed i only have one editable section on my front page... the demo had three with user defineable images etc. What am I missing please? Why is the theme i have installed different from the demo one?

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

19 July 2009 at 12:47am

SilverStripe themes cannot contain PHP code or anything which effects the cms. In the demo site for instance we have extended the default pages with 2 extra HTMLContent fields. Tutorial 2 covers adding form fields to the cms which will allow you to setup your cms like the demo site - http://doc.silverstripe.com/doku.php?id=tutorial:2-extending-a-basic-site

StillLearning

Community Member, 12 Posts

19 July 2009 at 2:03pm

I see, thank you. That explains it. If i had time I would follow the tutorial and could probably work it out. Unfortunately I don't have the time. Is there somewhere I could download the relevant file(s) from and just copy them onto my server? Thanks again. Steve.

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

20 July 2009 at 3:44pm

The contents of the HomePage.php file (with 3 columns of content) is available here.

davidm2010

Community Member, 107 Posts

1 December 2009 at 7:01am

Willr- Used your php file and everything shows up in the CMS. However, when I publish, I get only the image part of the content, nothing from the text portion. I did notice in the php part that was posted there we some single and double quotes mixed. I changed them all to single (after having the problem), but appreared to make no difference. I am using the HomePage.ss file that was a part of the theme package.

Any help would be appreciated.

David

davidm2010

Community Member, 107 Posts

1 December 2009 at 1:16pm

Got it to work.

One note. Anyone going to use this theme, you will need the Homepage.PHP code that Willr pasted above and follow his instructions, then do a /dev/build. Extract the tar file from the themes download and upload the balance folder only to themes. Then edit the HomePage.ss file to remove the site demo information that is in that file. Then it will work very well.

David