Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Upgrading SilverStripe /

Ask questions about upgrading SilverStripe to the latest version.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Upgrading from 2.2.2 to latest

Go to End

5 Posts   2526 Views

Jeff2

Community Member, 3 Posts

8 January 2011 at 11:36am

Help! I recently had our website suspended by the server host because of a resource abuse most likely caused by the old version of silverstripe I'm using. I'm wondering if it's possible to upgrade from 2.2.2 to the latest in one jump without losing website data/content.
Thanks,
Jeff

Jeff2

8 January 2011 at 11:42am

Here's more info:

Hi Jeff,
Quick update: SilverStripe will probably ask what version you are running. It appears that you are running version 2.0. It appears that the most recent released version is 2.4.1.
http://silverstripe.org/blog/tag/release

It's likely that they will probably tell you that this bug was fixed in later upgrades. If they do, please ask if they have, or could send, any upgrade packages necessary to get from 2.0 to 2.4.1. If they don't do upgrade packages, please inquire what the recommended upgrade procedure is, so that you don't lose any data.

Thanks,
Katie

This is an issue with your silverstripe CMS install. There looks to be infinite loops when downloading pdf's from the site. There are a bunch of hanging processes leaching the performance from your shared server which is why your webhost cares.
I would contact whoever is the admin of your public website and show them these logs.
This is independent from email and according to these logs, your website is solely the culprit

Good luck,

Kevin

Dear Customer,

During a recent server audit on 'galaxy2.whbdns.com' we have found your account 'wcfundor' to consume more than it's fair share of server CPU/Processor and Memory resources. This results in sub-par server performance and is a violation of WHB Acceptable Usage Policy (http://www.webhostingbuzz.com/acceptable-use-policy.php).

Your account appears to be resource intensive by nature and 9 times out of 10, this is down to the software and/or scripts used.

This is the first suspension incident for this account so we will give you a chance to fix the resource issue. You must reply to this ticket and confirm you understand this and will do this, and we will unsuspend your account.

If we find that this account continues to use more than it's fair share of resources, we may require that you upgrade to either a virtual private server (VPS) or a dedicated server (DS). Both of these are designed for resource heavy accounts and offer larger amounts of CPU/Memory resources.

We look forward to hearing from you at your earliest convenience.
=========================================================================

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

8 January 2011 at 8:17pm

2.2.2 is quite old and yes 2.4 has a number of performance improvements. Upgrading could be simply if you haven't got much custom code / modules. If you do have custom code you may need to update that as well.

Upgrading notes are available on http://doc.silverstripe.org/upgrading

You should read the 2.3 as well as 2.4 for any API changes. You shouldn't lose any content but you should test the upgrade on your local computer before upgrading the live site.

Jeff2

9 January 2011 at 5:12am

Thanks Willr!
Are there any upgrade packages? Am I assuming correctly that I can't just go from 2.2 to 2.4?
I'm an accidental techie at our small nonprofit, so I may have to hire a web pro - sound right?
Jeff

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

9 January 2011 at 6:20pm

Are there any upgrade packages? Am I assuming correctly that I can't just go from 2.2 to 2.4?

You can try and go straight to the latest 2.4, most of the 2.2 -> 2.3 migration code is still there. However if you used functionality like UserDefinedForm and newsletter (which are built into 2.2) they are now add on modules which you will need to upgrade.

It's unlikely it will upgrade perfectly first time hence you should do it on a backup copy first and see how far you get. That upgrading page I linked to has much more documentation on upgrading.

If you need to hire a webpro you can pick up some freelancers pretty cheaply (eg through oDesk) or contact any of the developers on the SilverStripe dev network (http://silverstripe.org/silverstripe-developer-network/). Depending on the complexity of the site you could be looking at anything from 10mins to a days worth of work.