Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Upgrading SilverStripe /

Ask questions about upgrading SilverStripe to the latest version.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Redesigning/Refactoring... Should I wait for version 3.0?

Go to End

3 Posts   1583 Views

Matt Ash

Community Member, 10 Posts

28 June 2011 at 6:37pm

I have run what has become a relatively large Silverstripe-based site. We have 2000+ pages and a regular flow of visitors. It began on Silverstripe 2.1 and is currently at 2.4. I want to begin a redesign which will also require a decent amount of code refactoring. From a development perspective this will include migrating certain page types to Data Objects (its a bear loading the CMS with 2000+ pages), as well as implementing static caching.

I've read over the new features and API changes in 3.0, most of which sound great. I'm particularly interested in heavily using SCSS in the new design. I know this can be currently accomplished using the Compass plugin, but will be a core feature in 3.0.

My question is this: Should I wait until a stable version of 3.0 is released before I begin this work? Will I benefit from refactoring the code from the beginning in 3.0? If I finish this process in 2.4, will I find myself back at square one when 3.0 is released?

I'm hoping that the experts will have a wider perspective of the pros and cons of this issue than I do.

Thanks!

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

28 June 2011 at 7:47pm

I know this can be currently accomplished using the Compass plugin, but will be a core feature in 3.0.

It won't be a core feature, will still be a module. We're writing the CMS in SCSS but you won't need compass on your machine to run the CMS. If you want to dev with SCSS you'll still need the module in 3.0.

I would suggest not waiting for 3.0. 3.0 is a long way from being stable or even API complete so you're looking at quite a wait. When 3.0 is released, the modules may or may not have full support yet so you'll have to deal with incompatible plugins for a while.

Matt Ash

Community Member, 10 Posts

29 June 2011 at 12:06am

Thanks. Thats just the sort of input I was looking for.