Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Upgrading SilverStripe /

Ask questions about upgrading SilverStripe to the latest version.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Upgrading SilverStripe 2.x to 3.x

Go to End

12 Posts   7873 Views

swaiba

Forum Moderator, 1899 Posts

6 September 2012 at 8:40am

ok, Kereru so...

I too am eagerly awaiting a documented upgrade procedure to go from 2.x to 3.x. My brain hurts from trying to figure it out without a clearly written set of docs.

becomes...

I'd like to be able to run a script which migrates from version to another and not be messing with replacing statements, variables and function calls

There is never going to be one script that will handle this so I wouldn't wait around for one or ask for it on the forum/groups. Sounds like you plan to start a fresh is the right one or I'd advise you don't upgrade at all - after all is it broken?

For me it is huge hassle but I this the docs are good and the benefit of the 3.0.1 worth the effort.

Petrus

Community Member, 4 Posts

8 November 2012 at 10:55pm

Due to problems with open_basedir that I have not been able to resolve ... yet (in V2), I have managed to upgrade a basic site from v2 to V3 by doing the following.

1) Backup all your site files in a safe place first - Murphy lurks here!!!
2) Delete the entire CMS and Sapphire directories and all the files they contain
3) If you have GoogleSiteMaps directory then delete this directory too.
4) Check if you have any modules that need to be upgraded - I think forums, events, multiforms, genericdataadmin and subsites have V3 updates. I'd suggest you remove all modules and widgets initially and make sure you get the basic Silverstripe going then reinstall them one by one.
5) copy across from the root of the V3 distribution the .htaccess file and the index.php files replacing the ones in V2 on your site
6) Make sure the webserver has ownership of all the files.
7) type the name of your site in a web browser with /?flush=1 on the end to flush all the old stuff out of the cache
8) Type the name of your site with /dev/build to rebuild everything.

Typing just your website name should give you your basic site with all the content. Admin should also work to allow changes.

This is what worked for me by trial and error

Hope others find it useful

Cheers
Pete

Petrus

Community Member, 4 Posts

10 November 2012 at 11:59am

Following on from my earlier post, I tried upgrading a slightly more complex site. This one had a userforms module and even after downloading the latest version I get this warning message:

[Warning] is_readable() [function.is-readable]: open_basedir restriction in effect. File(/usr/share/pear-addons/Zend/Translate/Adapter/I18nRailsYamlAdapter.php) is not within the allowed path(s): (/home/e-smith/files/ibays/djmcele-ib/:/tmp:usr/share/pear:/usr/share/pear-addons and in fact phpinfo says they are in the include path as such .:/usr/share/pear-addons:/usr/share/pear

Now I have set up the path /usr/share/pear-addons in php.ini (open_BaseDir)but what I find is that the directory does not actually exist on the server at all. /usr/share/pear is there but the /usr/share/pear-addons does not.

I have not found anything that indicates a silverstripe dependency and would tell me what I might need to install on the server.

I'm running centos 2.6.18-308.16.1.el5PAE with php5.3.3

Anyone have any ideas about this?

Cheers
Pete

Lucas

Community Member, 10 Posts

3 February 2013 at 9:02am

I'd love to see a script too!
While I don't expect a script to auto-upgrade for me, it could at least check for common upgrade patterns and output a report of where you need to focus your efforts.
Perhaps it could also do some `sed` magic on the most common forms (DataObject::get_by_id for example).

I'll see what I can come up with if I ever finish converting the huge 2.4.x project I'm on now.

I certainly don't think that the release notes constitute a sufficient upgrade guide. Already, only a few hours into the upgrade, I'm running into a lot of problems which aren't mentioned there. I'm making notes...

Still, the new version looks great and I'm excited about the possibilities for customisation in the CMS that before were such a pain to fit in.

Go to Top