Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Upgrading SilverStripe /

Ask questions about upgrading SilverStripe to the latest version.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Keeping up with current versions of modules

Go to End

3 Posts   1456 Views

AD5XJ

Community Member, 35 Posts

18 September 2014 at 6:21am

Edited: 18/09/2014 9:29am

I am moving from Drupal 7 to SilverStripe and find a number of differences that might potentially impact my new SS site.

Other CMS systems like Joomla, Drupal, and WordPress all have a method by which they scan installed modules and report which modules are superseded by later versions and offer update opportunities.

I do not find such a mechanism in SilverStripe. Maybe I am missing something as a new user.

Is there a add-on to the CMS that scans all the installed modules in the SS install path and compares the installed to what is available from the add-ons, themes, etc. for updates?

This would both simplify the update process and assure that the site remains up to date.... or
Do I have to manually check the git repository and do the laborious comparison myself?

camfindlay

Forum Moderator, 267 Posts

18 September 2014 at 4:38pm

If you are using composer to install your modules, you can run the command in terminal "composer show -i" which will display all currently installed modules and their versions. If you want to see if there are any available updates (which out actually updating them), use "composer update --dry-run". There isn't a module that I'm aware of that does this specifically, however composer is a great tool and worth learning more about. Possible that someone could write a GUI module for composer you could run locally.

AD5XJ

Community Member, 35 Posts

19 September 2014 at 3:00am

Well unfortunately my shared facility hosting service does not allow the use of composer. I must use the download->unzip->upload method. This is the reason I am on this quest.

This would be a very welcome and useful module / feature for SilverStripe administrators who cannot rely on composer for this information.