Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Widgets /

Discuss SilverStripe Widgets.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Possible bug in the duplicating page and children functionality

Go to End

4 Posts   3793 Views

teejay

Community Member, 63 Posts

5 February 2010 at 1:38pm

Hi there I have just a bug, but I dont know if its expected behavior. There is the following scenario.

Your page class has a widget area (which is the relation to that forum).

You have a holder page (inherits page) with lots of child (inherits page) pages. Then u duplicate the holder with all its childs. This means for me I create new pages, and it does create new pages. The problem is it does not create an WidgetAreas in the WidgetArea table --> for the new pages. It just refers to the page from which u have duplicated. So if you now change a widget in one holder page you change the widget in other holder page as well, and this is just not how I would expect it. I would like to change my widgets for every page how i need them and thats not possible if u duplicate in that way. Is there something I can do, maybe a setting to force the system to create new widgetAreas for the new pages .

Atm I need to do that manualy in the database and that is a bit pain in the ass (ups sorry).

Is that a bug or expected behavior ??

Thank you in advance.

teejay

Community Member, 63 Posts

10 February 2010 at 12:40pm

what a shame no one was able to answer this simple question. I had a deeper look in the cms and sappire code. It turns out that the duplicate functions (one page or with children) ignore any relations. I mean it is principle fine to do so, but in case of a has_one relation with an widget area u run in trouble by just duplication the page table entry and keeping the widget area id. Duplication is atm not an option anymore because of this issue, what a shame.

I could hack the code and create with the duplication of a page on the fly widgetareas but this would require changes to the core, and I would like to avoid that. Is there a easy way to extend the sitetree methods.

Thx

Thomas

CoolEP

Community Member, 5 Posts

23 February 2011 at 12:57pm

hi,

got the same issue. you are right there's no new WidgetArea-Item created.

maybe an overwrite of an parent-method could be the answer. something to do with "onBeforeWrite" or something like that...

what's the method that duplicates these pages? any guesses?

cheers

Baukez

Community Member, 4 Posts

18 January 2012 at 2:11am

Edited: 18/01/2012 2:25am

This was really annoying me also. Duplicating pages results in just referenced widgets, not duplicated widgets.

My solution is to extend the duplicate-function on Page class (page.php):

/** 
 * Duplicate this page, and make a copy of its Widgets (instead of copying the reference to it). 
 * @return Page 
 */ 
public function duplicate() { 
	$oPage = parent::duplicate(); 

if($this->hasField("SidebarID") && ($this->getComponent("Sidebar"))) { 
		//duplicate the current widgetArea
		$newWidgetArea = $this->getComponent("Sidebar")->duplicate();

//loop through all widgets linked to this wigetArea & connect them to the new WidgetArea
		foreach($this->getComponent("Sidebar")->Items() as $oAreaWidget) { 
			$newWidget = $oAreaWidget->duplicate(); 
			$newWidget->ParentID = $newWidgetArea->ID;
			$newWidget->write();
		}

//connect the new widgetArea to the duplicate page
		$oPage->SidebarID = $newWidgetArea->ID;
	}
	return $oPage; 
}

Hopefully this helps someone else aswell...