Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

Widgets /

Discuss SilverStripe Widgets.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Latest pages widget for children pages

Go to End

5 Posts   2144 Views

Community Member, 11 Posts

29 May 2010 at 5:01am

Hi guys,

I was wondering how I could modify the Latest pages widget from simon_w to show only the latest couple of children pages for a brief overview (in most cases only the title) of the children pages from a couple of parent pages (note: I don't want every page to have this for its own, Its more a static bar with the latest article titles.)

Community Member, 57 Posts

29 May 2010 at 11:39am

Edited: 29/05/2010 11:41am

(OP is referring to

In the widget, the controller DataObject::get currently finds 5 results. Change the '5' to '2' and you've sorted one problem. You'll also want to make sure it only grabs the articles from certain sections, so add ParentID = $this->ID or whatever you need:

$pages = DataObject::get('SiteTree', 'ParentID = '.$this->ID, '`LastEdited` DESC', '', 5);

For issue two - showing a brief overview - you need to edit the template. In the control the anchor tag currently shows <span>$Page.MenuTitle</span>.

You will need to add $Page.Content or $Page.Content.Summary wherever you want it.

Hope this helps.

Edit: re-read what you said and adjusted accordingly

1 June 2010 at 7:44pm

Thats some very useful info, joshy. Thanks very much.

I'll try to implement this in my site and will keep you in touch.

Grtz, Dre

2 June 2010 at 2:39am

A little thought:

I guess, from the code Joshy posted that this will show only the latest couple of articles from the parent page I'm on atm.
This is at least a part of what I want to show, maybe I can look into it myself when I have some spare time.
My point actually was to show the same couple of parent pages with the latest children pages on a main sidebar the whole time.

I suppose this has to be some hardcoded ID to use, or via a little bit of control on the CMS side?
For the time being a hardcoded ID wouldn't be much of a problem.

2 June 2010 at 8:20pm

I have changed the LatestPages function a bit to accomplish a part of my needs.
I can now see the children pages on the sidebar when I'm on the parent page, although when I switch to one of the children, the data on the sidebar is gone.

this is the code I have:

function LatestPages($amount) {
		if($amount == null) { $amount = 3; }
		$pages = DataObject::get('SiteTree', 'ParentID = '.$this->ID, '`LastEdited` DESC', ' ', $amount);
		$return = new DataObjectSet();
		foreach($pages as $page) {
			$versioned = Versioned::get_version("SiteTree", $page->ID, $page->Version);
			$author = Member::get_one("Member", "ID = " . (int)$versioned->AuthorID);
			$parent = Member::get_one('SiteTree', $page->ParentID);
			$return->push(new ArrayData(array('Page' => $versioned, 'Author' => $author, 'Parent' => $parent)));
		return $return;

I'm not yet familiar with implementing a module in the CMS to select pages that should be shown in the sidebar, maybe this would be a much better and easier approach.

Cheers, Dre