Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Widgets /

Discuss SilverStripe Widgets.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

widgets only working for blogs?

Go to End

5 Posts   2172 Views

borriej

Community Member, 267 Posts

14 July 2010 at 1:02am

Hi,

Do widgets only work for blogs?

I want to be able to embed a video trough the CMS, so I tought a widget would be handy.. but it is not working since i don't use a blog.

For images I always extend a page type like this:

static $has_one = array(
'PageMediaFoto' => 'Image',
);

function getCMSFields() {
$fields = parent::getCMSFields();
$fields->addFieldToTab("Root.Content.Afbeeldingen", new ImageField('PageMediaFoto'));
return $fields;
}

Is this also possible for a video?

TotalNet

Community Member, 181 Posts

14 July 2010 at 9:25am

First, check out:
http://doc.silverstripe.org/widgets#adding_widgets_to_other_pages

but you might also be interested in short codes

SDH

Community Member, 10 Posts

27 July 2010 at 1:17pm

Yes, in 2.4.x, it appears widgets only work for blogs.

I've spent 4 or 5 hours trying various permutations and combinations. No go. The widget tab appears in the CMS, I can add a widget to a page but I cannot make it appear. I did finally get rid of the double listing of widgets in the CMS for blog pages, evidently much more persistent than the docs make it appear due to a confusion between SideBar and Sidebar.

I would appreciate it if someone who is familiar with widgets and who has edit privileges in the docs, would pull a copy of 2.4.1 and try http://doc.silverstripe.org/widgets#adding_widgets_to_other_pages and update and correct it. It's wrong at the moment.

greenemage

Community Member, 2 Posts

29 July 2010 at 2:29pm

Edited: 29/07/2010 3:50pm

I couldn't get the tutorial to work on my 2.4 install either, but I found this module in the forums: http://www.silverstripe.org/all-other-modules/show/274910#post274910

Once installed it was a little tricky to figure out how to set up the widgets and the CMS interface is slightly buggy, but works like a charm on the front end.

SDH

Community Member, 10 Posts

29 July 2010 at 3:17pm

That looks interesting, but I re-imaged my test machine yesterday and I'm back to playing with Drupal, which now looks much more stable and manageable than it did previously.

My take, for what it's worth: Silverstripe was noted as being 'most promising' in 2008. It's still promising, but hasn't moved beyond that. Too much is broken, mis-documented and/or mis-adapted for new versions. If you're willing to spend the time to become an expert, learn sapphire and the APIs, then it's probably fine -- possibly better than fine. If you're like me, a programmer with limited time trying to put together a freebie website for a nonprofit, it's just not gonna fly.