Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Widgets /

Discuss SilverStripe Widgets.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

WidgetAreaEditor not functioning

Go to End

11 Posts   4560 Views

DubbeleJ

Community Member, 9 Posts

23 July 2012 at 11:20pm

Hello,

For our union we developed our site in silverstripe version 2.4. Recently we started upgrading the website to version 3.0 in our test environment.

Now I wanted to restore our widget functionality. In order to do this I downloaded the module code from:
https://github.com/silverstripe/silverstripe-widgets
I then followed the instructions and added a widget area to the page.php file in my "mysite/code/page.php" file.
Next I created a simple text widget to test the widget functionality.

I performed a dev/build?flush=all in order to get the widget module to work.

The problem I now have is that it does not me that there is a widget, however I cannot do anything with it. There are no controls whatsoever.
The questions I now have are:
- How far is the development of this widget module, is this editing area not supposed to work?
- If it should work, are there things which I might have forgotten while installed in the widget module?

Any help or pointers to documentation regarding this would be helpfull. (I already read the Readme of the widget module, nothing in there could help me out).

I also attached a screenshot which displays the WidgetAreaEditor as I see it.

Attached Files
Hattori

Community Member, 20 Posts

24 July 2012 at 9:42am

The official branch for widgets doesn't work.

Use this one for now until the pull request is accepted.

https://github.com/UndefinedOffset/silverstripe-widgets

- Liam

DubbeleJ

24 July 2012 at 8:57pm

Thank you for your response, this appears to do the trick.

Sincerely,
Jan Jaap

DubbeleJ

24 July 2012 at 9:45pm

Edited: 25/07/2012 12:13am

I still have issues with the widgets.

The administration area of the widgets is now working. However widgets do not load on the pages.
When I have a page with a $Sidebar area, but no widgets in that $Sidebar -> the page loads fine.

However as soon as I put a widget on the $Sidebar area, the page does not load at all and I get a server timeout/disconnect on that particular page.

Any ideas what is causing this behaviour, are there still bugs in this implementation of widgets or might there be something wrong with the widget I put on there?

ABK

Community Member, 2 Posts

8 August 2012 at 10:51pm

I have also followed the instructions to get widgets working in SS3 but have hit a wall. I have tried the branch that Hattori suggested but it made no difference. I have attached a print screen of the blog page widget area. I have also tried to set widgets up on each page as well but these widget tabs have nothing but a blank grey space not even the Inherit from parent option.

Any help on this would be great as it is the only thing stopping me from upgrading all our sites to SS3.

Thanks,
Alex

Attached Files
stefant42

Community Member, 14 Posts

11 August 2012 at 10:57pm

got the same problem

swaiba

Forum Moderator, 1899 Posts

16 August 2012 at 9:14pm

Hi,

I've tried both...

https://github.com/silverstripe/silverstripe-widgets
and
https://github.com/UndefinedOffset/silverstripe-widgets

the silverstripe one fails as DubbeleJ has indicated, and Undefined Offest fails when trying to add a widget, but it is further along than the rest

DubbeleJ

16 August 2012 at 9:22pm

The Widget as provided by UndefinedOffset does work. We figured out the display issue:

Main issue is when using the $Content variable in your Widget template. This will load the main content, which will then load the widget, which will then load the main content -> etc. etc. This causes an infinite loop.

After fixing this by using our own defined variables for the widgets, for example for our text widget we now use:
$WidgetTitle
$WidgetContent
The page renders just fine with the widgets.

Regards,
Jan Jaap

Go to Top