Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We're retiring the forums!

The SilverStripe forums have passed their heyday. They'll stick around, but will be read only. We'd encourage you to get involved in the community via the following channels instead:

Widgets /

Discuss SilverStripe Widgets.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

SS3 Widget Module/WidgetAreaEditor Breaks CMS AJAX Functionality


Go to End


4 Posts   3565 Views

Avatar
HARVS1789UK

Community Member, 31 Posts

16 February 2013 at 12:02am

Edited: 16/02/2013 12:03am

I have a strange problem on the last two SS sites I have built (both are SS3.0.1 and above). I understand that the Widget Module is no longer packaged with a base SS install anymore so I have downloaded the Widget Module (https://github.com/silverstripe/silverstripe-widgets) and successfully installed it and created my own widgets etc.

I have given all my Pages the abillity to add Widgets and have this in my Page.php Class:


    public static $has_one = array(
        "MyWidgetArea" => "WidgetArea"
    );

    public function getCMSFields() {
        $fields = parent::getCMSFields();
        $fields->addFieldToTab("Root.Widgets", new WidgetAreaEditor("MyWidgetArea"));
        return $fields;
    }

The widget area itself works fine and I have no issues with it (with the exception of known bugs when using checkboxes etc) however, when I try to navigate to (or around the tabs within) a page in the CMS that uses the widget area the AJAX loading of that page fails. For example from the SiteTree page list I go to my 'Contact Us' page (which has a WidgetAreaEditor on it) the blue loading bar/overlay appears, ticks away, my URL gets updates and the overlay/loader disappear....but my page location is the same, the appropriate page content has not been loaded in.

Looking at the Network tab in Google Chrome I can see the correct request is being made and data returned with HTTP 200 OK message (see below screenshot), but then nothing happens.

I am certain it is related to Widgets as on all other CMS pages (e.g. Settings, Security etc) the AJAX loading works fine and on any pages where I remove the WidgetAreaEditor functionality it then loads the page correctly e.g. on a page where I want no Widgets configurable I have:

    public function getCMSfields() {
        $fields = parent::getCMSFields();
        $fields->removeByName("Content");
        $fields->removeFieldFromTab('Root', 'Widgets');
        return $fields;
    }

This is driving me crazy and obviously I can't hand the site over to the client and say "to use the CMS click on the appropriate page, then do a page reload because its broken!" :-(

Any help would be much appreciated!

Cheers,

HARVS1789UK

Avatar
HARVS1789UK

Community Member, 31 Posts

2 March 2013 at 3:26am

Edited: 02/03/2013 3:27am

Bump!

Does no body have any ideas :-(

Perhaps more importantly is anyone else actually having this problem?

Avatar
leigh

Community Member, 4 Posts

10 January 2015 at 11:26am

I'm having an identical issue after creating a new Admin page. I'm fairly sure it's something I've implemented incorrectly, but as yet I haven't diagnosed the cause. All the pages including the new one load fine after a refresh.

When I track down the cause I'll post the details.

Avatar
leigh

Community Member, 4 Posts

12 January 2015 at 4:57pm

I've diagnosed and resolved the cause of this issue. It's mandatory that all files have a new line at the end. I don't know whether the culprit in my case was one of the PHP files or a .yaml or a _config ... but I made sure all the files ended with a new line and the bug disappeared (I do regard it as a bug - so far as I've been able to discover, the new line isn't a documented requirement).