23480 Posts in 18951 Topics by 2878 members
|Go to End|
19 May 2010 at 11:14pm Last edited: 19 May 2010 11:42pm
I won't be the first, but I only just discovered this problem with IE6 where navigation links don't work properly (new install, blackcandy). Clicking a link returns a white screen. Reloading the white screen or entering the link manually will return the proper page. Some links will work though, and that makes it even more confusing...
This is not a SilverStripe bug, the culprit seems to be this tag, created by $MetaTags(false) in Page.ss:
<meta http-equiv="Content-type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />
[EDIT] I thought of some hack, using <!--[if lt IE 6]> but that won't validate as proper HTML...
How would leaving it out altogether effect SilverStripe's handling of character encoding? Any thoughts on this issue?
21 May 2010 at 12:16am
I guess I really need some help here,cause it's driving me nuts... I never had this problem with 2.3 versions, but it's happening since 2.4. Navigation-links on sites coming from my server just won't work in IE6. I click a link, get a white screen, reload and the page displays. Typing urls by hand works fine. Again - only with 2.4 sites...
I must be missing some setting somewhere - the same setup works on my other hosting provider. This is what I did sofar (in every possible combination):
- made multiple clean default installs of 2.4 and 2.3.7 using the same domain/virtual host
- removed everything from the page header but the metatag in the page template, removed the body as well...
- set my server to en_US utf-8, just to be sure, to ISO-8859-1 and back again
- set the default locale in php.ini to utf-8, and back to nothing
- set apache default locale to utf-8 and back to nothing.
- checked the http headers - no difference between the 2.4 and the 2.3.7 install
- checked all available logs. The request is made, the page is sent
- saved all pages to html and let them link to each other - works fine
- set <meta http-equiv="Content-type" content="text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1" /> (Makes it work)
- moved the tag to the top of the header - no luck
- removed it: works fine...
- Uploaded the same website to my other hosting provider, and there it works fine. Only difference in the header: Vary: Accept-Encoding (missing there)
It looks like IE6 gets to the part where it processes the metatag, then does some internal redirect and hangs on that. I succeeded in letting Silverstripe adding some content to the header just to check: the text before the <meta http-equiv... shows, the bit after doesn't...
If anyone wants to check it out: http://hekeltje.balbus.tk
What am I missing... any suggestions? Please?
|Go to Top|