Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Archive /

Our old forums are still available as a read-only archive.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo

Albums in Gallery

Go to End

30 Posts   8337 Views

Carbon Crayon

Community Member, 598 Posts

21 November 2008 at 12:35pm

Edited: 21/11/2008 12:36pm

UncleCheese, have you looked at a lightbox called 'floatbox', just been looking at it and it looks really nice, very fast and flexible, you can even set the style/display options on the fly. Find it here: http://randomous.com/tools/floatbox/demo.php

the default look isnt particularly nice but you can make it look like shadow box without much trouble, which is by far teh best looking lightbox IMO. I have been using shadowbox but the only problem is no captions, is that why you dropped it in your latest release of image gallery?

Personally I think the box you have on your demo site at the moment is not as slick as either of them, any particular reason you chose that one?

UncleCheese

Forum Moderator, 4102 Posts

21 November 2008 at 4:47pm

The version of ImageGallery that is on my site is actually horribly out of date. In the last few weeks, I've extended it to include 7 of what I consider the best lightboxes -- all jQuery. Some have more room for captions than others. Some are black, some are white, etc. Try it out.

Attached is the new release of the Image Gallery, with Album support. New features:

- Bundled with my SortableDataObject extension. Allows arbitrary drag-and-drop sort for DataObject components on the front end. In this case, it allows the albums to be reordered through drag-and-drop on the gallery overview page. For more information on this extension, see http://www.silverstripe.com/extending-hacking-silverstripe-forum/flat/232711

- Supports albums! No need to create several different pages. Just add a new album in the Albums tab. Every gallery must have at least one album. By default, all new galleries get a "Default Album" that can be renamed.

- Move photos from one album to another

- Some minor style changes

To do:

- If a gallery only has the default album, gallery page should skip right to it. Shouldn't need to go through the overview page.

- Albums are not physical spaces on the server. They're just arbitrary database entries. It would be nice if they went to their own folder. For now, it poses some challenges to the "move photos" feature, so I'll leave it alone.

The demo:

Updated at http://imagegallery.carlinowebdesign.com
u: admin
p: password

Liam

Community Member, 470 Posts

21 November 2008 at 5:43pm

1. Floatbox looks really good. Wish it was based off something like jquery, but still _very_ impressive.

2. New gallery album looks fantastic! Don't have time to download and test right now, but playing with the demo and was very impressed. I'm working on a project right where I can use this most likely.

One quick question, but how does it handle large amount of data? Can you limit amount of galleries/albums per page? What about images within it?

UncleCheese

Forum Moderator, 4102 Posts

21 November 2008 at 5:58pm

Max file size is whatever your php.ini dictates. The uploader will grey out anything that is too large. You can upload up to 100 files at once.

For large numbers of images, it should paginate according to how you have it set in the CMS for "Media Files Per page" and "Media files per line"

One of the features of the Image Gallery, however, is "Show all photos" (that is, remove the pagination), which makes cross-page sorting possible.

Liam

Community Member, 470 Posts

21 November 2008 at 9:34pm

Edited: 21/11/2008 9:45pm

Ya sorry I worded that wrong. I just meant regarding the pagination, not image file size :)

Anyway, thanks for clearing up! This is exactly what I'm after.

When I first read it, I hadn't checked it out in the admin section. Only on the front end. I thought maybe you had disabled access to the CMS admin area, so didn't try until now. Now I can see it in it's full.

*Edit* So you can limit the amount of images displayed per page, but what about limiting the amount of albums per page? Anyway of adding this feature in the future? Or maybe I overlooked it. The site I'm building will end up getting dozens->hundreds of albums with time, so it would be best to limit it to X amount per page.

mhull

Community Member, 79 Posts

21 November 2008 at 10:53pm

Aram,

Thanks for uploading the Gallery holder for the gallery.
Is it possible to have just one image showing for each album, that links through to the individual gallery page? like in UncleCheese's example.

I am also trying UncleCheese's Image Gallery for another page, but can't seem to get the swfupload to work

Carbon Crayon

Community Member, 598 Posts

22 November 2008 at 12:55am

mhull: You could use the 'default image' field in each GalleryPage, and just use that inside <% control children %> in the holder. But to be honest if thats what you want I would go with uncleCheese's extention as it looks far more accomplished than my hacks ;)

Uncle Cheese: Mate that is really some great work, looks like fantastic functionality! I cant wait to use it in a project and I will get back to you with any feedback when I do.

LeeUmm: What is the disadvantage of not using a framework like jquery? If the performance is good and it works well, is it just a case of being harder to customize or is there something else?

mhull

Community Member, 79 Posts

22 November 2008 at 1:30am

Thanks Aram,
How would I specify the 'default image' field?