Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

Customising the CMS /

[SOLVED] Generate print view from DataObject, triggered by a button in ModelAdmin

5 Posts   1121 Views

Marc_B

Community Member, 5 Posts

16 November 2011 at 8:04am

Kia ora, bros! :)

I'm writing a kind of »order management«/crm-system where a shop owner can add an order (via ModelAdmin). This order is an extended DatObject where I added several fields.
When creating a new order (and an unique order id is generated) I want to have some kind of »print button« right beside the Back/Delete/Save-Buttons. I guess Aram's tutorial (http://www.ssbits.com/tutorials/2009/adding-a-cms-action-the-slightly-hacky-way/) will do the job.

Now for the tricky part: What is the best method for generating the print view? I want to print an order receipt with the data added before, in a nice layout and some (generated) images (for example a QR Code built with the Google Charts API) and of course the data. I could build a separate HTML-Page for the print layout – but how would I dynamically generate that page in a pop-up window?

Can someone help me with a »strategy« or a hint, how to achieve this functionality? Would be great to hear from you guys!

Kind regards from Germany,

Marc

rob.s

Community Member, 78 Posts

25 November 2011 at 12:33am

Edited: 25/11/2011 4:42am

Hi Marc,

currently i'm working on a similar project.
My first (good looking) approach is as follows:

Add a "print" Link to the detail view of your "Order" inside ModelAmin:

class Order extends DataObject {
function getCMSFields($params = null) {
$f = parent::getCMSFields($params);
$f->push(
new LiteralField('i_print', sprintf('<p><a href="%s" target="_blank">Print</a></p>',
Controller::join_links( Controller::curr()->Link(), 'doPrint'))
// generates admin/<modeladmin-url-segment>/Order/<ID>/doPrint
)
));
return $f;
}
}

Next, in your ModelAdmin set a custom Record-Controller to define the 'doPrint' action:

class OrderAdmin extends ModelAdmin{
public static $record_controller_class = 'OrderAdmin_RecordController';
}

class OrderAdmin_RecordController extends ModelAdmin_RecordController {

function doPrint($request) {
return $this->customise( array('Order'=>$this->getCurrentRecord()) )->renderWith( array('Print') );
}

}

And create a Print.ss in a 'templates' directory inside the module, where your OrderAdmin.php exists
My structure:

mysite/code/OrderAdmin.php
mysite/templates/Print.ss

Print.ss

<% control Order %>
<h1>Print View for Order No. {$ID}</h1>
<% end_control %>

So far, so good .....
Currently kind of dirty - but i will work on it ....
Does this help/work ?

Greetings from southern germany :-)
Rob

Marc_B

26 November 2011 at 12:31am

Hey Rob!

Thanks a lot for your reply! No matter if it's dirty or not. :) I'll definitive give this a try this weekend and I'll let you know if it works out!

Thanks again und beste Grüße aus dem Ruhrgebiet! ;-)

Marc

rob.s

Community Member, 78 Posts

27 November 2011 at 11:03pm

Edited: 27/11/2011 11:03pm

just one notice

you need to clear the Requirements (css,js). Otherwise all the modeladmin css & js - files are included in your print template:

function doPrint($request) {
Requirements:clear();
return $this->customise( array('Order'=>$this->getCurrentRecord()) )->renderWith( array('Print') );
}

Marc_B

28 November 2011 at 12:04pm

Rob! Thank you very much, your code works like a charm. I'm not an PHP-expert therefore I don't know whether your code is »dirty« or not. The main point is: it suits my needs perfectly and I can understand the principles behind it! :)

Just a small typo in your last post where an additional colon is needed: it should read

Requirements::clear();

(Just in case any other user stumbles upon this thread.)

Again, thank you very much for your help!

Viele Grüße,

Marc