Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Completely Removing Silverstripe from a Mac computer

Go to End

4 Posts   615 Views

jimwhitt

Community Member, 2 Posts

22 May 2016 at 11:56am

I would like to know how to completely remove silverstripe and its related components from my Mac witch is running Yosemite.
I am using Mamp as will.
My main reason for wanting to do it is no matter what do I cant get my Password to enter Silverstripes CMS. When I click on lost my password enter my email. It is says I would sent an email on what to do. Each time I did that, I simply didn't receive any email at all.
Can any one help, thanks Jimwhitt

martimiz

Forum Moderator, 1391 Posts

24 May 2016 at 3:11am

Edited: 24/05/2016 3:13am

Hi jimwhitt,

If you have a local SilverStripe version on your Mac, the password link probably wouldn't work, since you can't just send mail from your local computer using php mail. So unless you have installed some SMTP module in SilverStripe, that mail will never reach you.

It should be easy to get back into the CMS though: in your /mysite/_config.php do:

Security::setDefaultAdmin('admin', 'somePassword');

Then you should be able to login with thes new credentials.

If you really want to remove SilverStripe, then you should just empty the directory where SilverStripe is installed. If you didn't have a 'silverstripe-cache' folder in your install, there may be a SilverStripe cache still present in your temp folder, where it can't do much harm. But if you want to remove it - on my Mac they are stored in /var/tmp, and called something like silverstripe-cache-php5.x.x-your-silverstripe-install-folder.

jimwhitt

Community Member, 2 Posts

25 May 2016 at 5:07pm

Hi martimiz,
thanks for your reply.
Now, I am completely new web servers of any nature.
The problem have is where is this /mysite directory?
What I have found from within Mamp is that if I go into phpMyAdmin I see a directory structure with "jims site" at the top. I thought it might be the new name for "mysite". But below "jims site" there is no _config.php folder at all.
I was reading article on silverstripe directory structure which showed the _config.php file to be directly under the "mysite" folder ie inside it. will there no _config.php file under it at all. I even tried to put /mysite/_config.php after localhost:8888 ie localhost/mysite/_config.php to see if that would work to no avale. Can pleade explain the steps when have some time. thanks Jim

martimiz

Forum Moderator, 1391 Posts

25 May 2016 at 8:50pm

Ok... Based on what you say this is not really a SilverStripe question but more one of how a (MAMP) webserver works. Not so much for these forums, but I'll give it a shot...

A typical SilverStripe install footprint consists of three things:

1 - a folder where all your SilverStripe files are located
2 - a database
3 - a cache directory

On a typical MAMP install you'll find the website files (In this case SilverStripe) in Applications/MAMP/htdocs. In there you should find a folder mysite and in it the file _config.php. Open it with textedit. In here you should find the name of the database SilverStripe is using. You can also add the lines I gave you to the bottom of the file, to change the login credentials.

If you want to remove SilVerStripe, you'll need the name of the Database first so you can remove it: use phpMyAdmin (which is a database tool) to remove the database with the name you just found. After that remove all files from the htdocs folder (but leave the empty folder itself)!

Note: even if you don't remove the database, it won't stand in the way of any other websites you want to install :)

Next you may want to look in the /var/tmp folder for a directory with SilverStripe in its name (that's the cache directory), and remove it. But you could also leave that be, it doesn't eat any bread as we Dutch say :)