Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Silverstripe Proformance & XCache

Go to End

5 Posts   2795 Views

warwick

Community Member, 13 Posts

15 March 2010 at 6:12pm

Is there a guide somewhere for setting up XCache for silverstripe? I have XCache 1.3.0 Installed and as far as I can tell working - According the the XCache Administration screen it is cacheing all the files related to the xcache admin console itself but it does not seem to be caching anything related to the silverstripe sites

martimiz

Forum Moderator, 1391 Posts

16 March 2010 at 11:23pm

Hi Warwick
I don't think you'd have to do anything special to get xcache to work with SilverStripe. I have an 'out of the box' install on Apache2/Linux (SS 2.3.6, SS 2.4) working fine. Only thing I did was set the xcache.size...

warwick

Community Member, 13 Posts

17 March 2010 at 2:57pm

Edited: 17/03/2010 2:58pm

Thanks for your reply martimiz

How do you know when it is working correctly?

When I go into XCache 1.3.0 Administration and look under php Cached I only see 4 files as cached and none of them relate to SS sites on the server

pysiak

Community Member, 1 Post

31 July 2010 at 7:32am

There's one thing that as of now SilverStripe can use an opcode cache like x-cache only for the scripts.

I've just started working with CakePHP and those guys allow their framework to also use x-cache for variables. They also support memcached and APC. And this is more than just being a transparent client of the opcode cache, but actually making use of it's APIs to use it more extensively.

Sooo, I hereby request for a feature: full support for xcache :-)

Cheers,
Maciej

swaiba

Forum Moderator, 1899 Posts

22 October 2010 at 1:47am

Edited: 22/10/2010 9:54pm

Hi I've been banging my head trying to get some acceleration on the local host. Silver stripe can be soo much slower on my local host and I would like to believe that there is something I can do about it...

I have Windows 7 and WAMP and php 5.3.0 installed. I have tried...

a) WinCache looks like an IIS extension so a standard workstation using wamp it will not work... is this right?

b) APC / eAccelerator / xcache - each of these I have downloaded many different binaries (but starting with VC6 x86 ts/nts) and each time I add them to my php.ini as extenstion= or zend_extenstion= and still nothing in my phpinfo() that indicates caching...

PHP Version 5.3.0
Build Date	Jun 29 2009 21:23:30
Compiler	MSVC6 (Visual C++ 6.0)
Architecture	x86
Thread Safety	enabled

Any help is much appreciated!

Update - with the addition of finding I was thread safe I now have the right xcache binary and it install... now to see if it is much faster...