Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

[closed] Unable to login to backend CMS using IE6/7

Go to End

3 Posts   1619 Views

Sparrowhawk

Community Member, 33 Posts

7 April 2010 at 9:23pm

Edited: 20/07/2010 4:08am

Hi,

A client is reporting that they cannot access their SS site's backend. When they try to login using IE6/7 they get:

Website Error
There has been an error

The website server has not been able to respond to your request.

When they use FF, all is fine.

I did not write this site but I managed to get a local dev copy up and running - I also cannot login to the admin area with IE6 but I can with FF. Unlike the online version, on my dev version when I try to login with IE6, I don't get the message above - instead i am just taken back to the /security/login page with both fields empty. This is true whether I try with a valid username+pw combo or an invalid one. No error message is shown.

SS version is 2.3.4 running on CentOS Linux with MySQL 5.0.x - sorry, not sure exactly which version of the db they have. I am also not sure which version of PHP is installed, but might having version 5.3 be an issue? It's what I have locally and as I mentioned I cannot log in with IE6 either. I cannot get this info right now as their support guys are unreachable. Doesn't make life easy!!!

Any thoughts/help/advice as to what to look at would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

8 April 2010 at 4:41pm

Can you access the server logs to get the actual error message? What happens if you add an ?isDev=1 to the end of the url?. You could also temporarily put the site into devmode to see the error message. That would get you on the right track.

Sparrowhawk

Community Member, 33 Posts

20 July 2010 at 4:08am

I'm just going through my old posts and found this. I do apologise for not getting back to you. The problem went away and I have no idea why, although the server config was apparently changed during this time so that probably accounts for it.