Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Build social web with Silverstripe

Go to End

5 Posts   2499 Views

bayonian

Community Member, 2 Posts

29 April 2009 at 10:47am

Hi,

I would like to know if I can use SilverStriple to build a community web site. Right now, I'm considering Drupal but I just heard about SilverStriple from a friend. I'm impressed by many site were built with SilverStripe.

If yes, what extensions and modification I need to build a social web with SilverStripe.

Thank

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

30 April 2009 at 10:11pm

Depends on what features a social web would contain. Currently the registration module has a basic signup form, member profile system which is a start. A couple community members were going to build a social network module but I think that got canned

Double-A-Ron

Community Member, 607 Posts

30 April 2009 at 10:12pm

Edited: 30/04/2009 10:13pm

Personally, I think Drupal is very well aligned for this sort of application, and it has been done many times. (I'm an ex-Drupaler).

I think you'll find there will be alot of work involved making Silverstripe do what I think you want it to do. Far more than using Drupal anyway. I remember alot of community modules for building such a site.

Not really a failing of Silverstripe, you could pretty much use it, and Sapphire, to create anything you want. It just so happens that Drupal has already had alot of work done in this area that will get you rolling alot faster.

If you were to ask which would be more suitable for building information based sites, well, that would be the reason why I'm an ex-Drupaler. ;-)

Cheers
Aaron

timcole

Community Member, 32 Posts

7 July 2010 at 5:30am

I am have been working on some of the basics of this - registration module, profile module, etc.
If there is sufficient interested I'd be willing to finish it off into a package - but I would probably look to charge something for it. Maybe £100 or £200? if there were at least 10-15 people interested, that would make it viable for me.

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

7 July 2010 at 8:48am

@timcole Ajshort has a pretty robust and fully featured profile / registration module - http://github.com/ajshort/silverstripe-memberprofiles

Doesn't include the 'social network' functionality (like friends etc) but as a start its pretty good.