Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Add Members Button

Go to End

7 Posts   1314 Views

stumck

Community Member, 9 Posts

21 November 2014 at 3:59pm

Hi there
We have recently launched our new company website using silverstripe. I am currently the administrator. We have some restricted pages accessible to registered members. I would like to set a group for some of our staff. I would like to have access to the Security area of the CMS only and I would like them to have the 'Add members button' available. This is so the can add some of our customers as members so they can access restricted content. Currently this feature is only available to administrators. I don't want them to be administrators.
How easy is it to change this?
Cheers Stuart

nzstephenf

Community Member, 63 Posts

24 November 2014 at 2:31am

Edited: 24/11/2014 2:32am

Hi Stuart,
This is an easy thing to get sorted out with a full clicks and then you're set.

Go to the Security section of the SilverStripe CMS backend, and then go into the Groups tab. You'll by default land on the "Users" tab, so when you go into the Groups tab - click onto "Add Group".

Name it, select a parent group if you wish (it can be left blank).
And don't click "Save" just yet. Click onto the Permissions tab and you'll be given a list of checkboxes. Under CMS Access, find and check the box for "Access to 'Security' section". Now hit "Save".

When you hit save, you should be in the group (you just created) user manager in the Security section. Add your staff members and you're all set!

Cheers,
Stephen

stumck

24 November 2014 at 9:12am

Thanks Stephen
But when I create the new group with permissions to the Security section enabled. When the members of this group log in and are in the Security area the 'Add members' button is missing. Everything else looks ok.

camfindlay

Forum Moderator, 267 Posts

27 November 2014 at 9:57am

Can you let me know which version of SilverStripe you are running and also perhaps the steps to replicate the issue you are having - I'll see if I can replicate this at my end on a fresh copy of the CMS. Something else to check is that perhaps there is some custom code causing the issue?

stumck

27 November 2014 at 1:31pm

I believe the version is 3.1.
The issue is.
When you log into the CMS and go to the security area.
If you have administrator permissions you will see the Add members button.
I have created a group called 'Add Member Group'.
I have enabled Access to 'Security' section and disabled all other permissions.
When you log into the CMS as a member of the 'Add Member Group'. In the Security area the add members button is missing.
see attached file.
Cheers Stuart

Attached Files
camfindlay

Forum Moderator, 267 Posts

27 November 2014 at 2:51pm

Managed to replicate your problem, looks like this is a known limitation and there is a github issue around this at https://github.com/silverstripe/silverstripe-framework/issues/1646

You may have to look at submitting a pull request to potentially fix this in core, or perhaps get some traction on having it added as a feature by adding a feature request as http://silverstripe.uservoice.com

stumck

5 December 2014 at 8:54am

Thanks
I will add it to the uservoice