Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

All other Modules /

Discuss all other Modules here.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Multiform Module 'Back' button form validation

Go to End

3 Posts   1385 Views

cwchong

Community Member, 13 Posts

5 September 2012 at 1:37pm

Hi, using the multiform module, when clicking on the "Back" button of a step (say step 2), it appears that the validation rules for this current step is fired.

Is this intended behaviour?

It would be only possible to do a "Back" if the current step validates, is there a way to hook the back button so as not to trigger validation?

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

7 September 2012 at 10:11pm

Defiantly a bug! Raise it as an issue on the modules issue tracker (https://github.com/silverstripe/silverstripe-multiform/issues)

cwchong

Community Member, 13 Posts

12 September 2012 at 5:33am

Edited: 12/09/2012 6:11am

Hi Will,
tks for the reply.

I am trying to see if I can debug that, perhaps you can help me a little.

I am looking at the MultiForm class's "actions_exempt_from_validation" feature, at approx. line 130:

if( $actionNames ) {
			foreach( $actionNames as $exemptAction) {
				if(!empty($_REQUEST[$exemptAction])) {
					$applyValidation = false;
					break;
				} 
			}
		}

It appears the code tries to check a match with exempted actions (e.g. action_prev) with the request object, but inspecting the $_REQUEST object only returns the multiformsessionid and not the posted action submit button!

Then, I tried to inspect if the posted submit button is available via

$currentStep->loadData();

But this only returns the form fields' data, excluding the submit action.
I see no other location where the submit action is inspected in the code, does that mean I have to look into the Silverstripe base Form class?

Also, I find it quite strange that the validation exemption is performed at __construct(), is it to exclude js validation code being injected? Shouldn't it be handled in httpSubmission() instead? Since we "do" want validation if, instead of hitting the "back", we hit the "next".
Does the __construct() here doubles as the handler for submission from the last form step?
If so, i find it more puzzling that the "current" step validation now depends on the posted action from the previous step
(the lines from 130 till "parent::__construct($controller, $name, $fields, $actions, $validator);")