Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Archive /

Our old forums are still available as a read-only archive.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo

adding a small database to a site

Go to End

5 Posts   1936 Views

Nicolaas

Forum Moderator, 224 Posts

20 September 2007 at 6:36pm

Edited: 20/09/2007 6:37pm

Gurus....

I was wondering if and how it is possible to add a small database to a site. I would like to make a small resource list. While it should be incorporated into the CMS, there is no page for each resource. Has anyone done anything like that and how would you go about it?

Thank you

Nicolaas

Sigurd

Forum Moderator, 628 Posts

25 September 2007 at 7:04pm

how many items would the 'resource list' contain?

on the one hand, you can make each item a 'page' (like how in the tutorials you have each 'staff member' as a page). Well, an object that extends page, anyway.

Alternatively, you could create a list of items all on one page.

Is there a need to edit the items on the public-facing site, or just in the CMS?

Nicolaas

25 September 2007 at 9:04pm

Edited: 25/09/2007 9:08pm

Hi Siggy

Thank for your reply. It is just a small list. This situation occurs a lot. A list of products, a list of employees, a list of locations, a small image library, a list of links even, etc... etc... It does not really warrant creating a new page, but it would be nice to have the items structured as children of a page rather than just free text....

Most of the time, there would be no need to edit them publicly, just through the CMS.

What is best practice? How would I go about it.... Is there an example somewhere?

Thank you

Nicolaas

Tim

Community Member, 201 Posts

25 September 2007 at 10:38pm

While it's currently not well documented, this is what the GenericDataAdmin is specifically designed to do. You can actually use it to build some very complex and powerful web based databases with it.

Nicolaas

26 September 2007 at 8:55am

Thanks. Hey, that looks PERFECT. How would I go about getting some more documentation or shall I just give it a try? Do you basically create a CMS for it, similar to the one for editing pages? Are there any examples to look at? Thanks again!